Chichester is an essential destination for anyone with an interest in Roman or medieval history. Its proximity to both country and coast only adds to its appeal.
Click on any photo to see a larger version, find out more, or leave a comment:
- The 11th-century Chichester Cathedral – the only English cathedral visible from the sea
- The octagonal stone Chichester Cross, at the intersection of the city’s four main streets
- City walls – they are medieval but built on the foundations of the Roman walls
Events and activities
- Chichester harbour, an area of outstanding natural beauty with Britain’s second largest marina
- Fishbourne Roman Palace, with on-site museum and Roman formal garden
- The market towns of Midhurst and Petworth
- Goodwood Festival of Speed – the world’s largest car event
Location and getting there
Chichester is the county town of West Sussex, in South-East England, and is located around 55 miles (85km) to the south-west of London (see our interactive map).
To the north of the city is England’s newest national park, the South Downs National Park. To the south-west is Chichester Harbour, which is a large natural harbour and an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Along the coast from Chichester Harbour and only a few miles from Chichester is the resort town of Bognor Regis.
Trains from London Victoria to Chichester run via Gatwick Airport and take around 1 hour 45 minutes.
National Express coaches are also available from Gatwick Airport to the city and take just over an hour.
Chichester cathedral spire collapsed in 1861 and was rebuilt slightly taller than before. A medieval tomb within the cathedral is the subject of Philip Larkin’s well known poem ‘An Arundel Tomb’.
This mini-calendar shows events taking place in and around Chichester. For events at cathedral cities across the UK, please see our main Cathedral City Calendar.
Using an iPhone? Please hold your phone horizontally for the best results with our calendar.
- Visit Chichester – the official website of Chichester Tourism
- ChichesterWeb – a well respected, independent guide to Chichester
- ichichesteruk.com and visitwitteringsonline.com – not-for-profit local guides
- Chichester on Google Maps
- Photos of Chichester on Flickr
- Chichester hotels on Booking.com
- Chichester restaurants with Restaurant-Guide.com
- Twitter list for Chichester by Cathedral City Guide
Got Chichester stories, photos, or recommendations you want to share?
Email us at email@example.com or use the comment form below.